Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pickling

 I've never pickled ripe tomatos, but I saw a recipe for it so why not.  
I had more than enoughto spare a few for the experiment.  
"The Beast" tomato plant is the yellow pear, so I haveplenty.  
There are pepper corns, garlic and rosemary in it as well as the basic pickle liquid.  
I'll try them in a couple of weeks to see if it is worth doing more.
 These are the white Edmonton cucumbers I have been growing from saved seed 
for a few years now.It is a good, crisp pickling cucumber that is almost white, 
just a shade of very pale yellow or green,and has these hard little spurs on the ribs that 
brush away when you wash them.  
I have to thinkthat was some type of defense mechanisim.  
This is an old variety that I like a lot.  I don't grow anyother cucumber now.  
They are good fresh or pickled.
 These are beets.  There are three varieties mixed.  There are white, regular and the ones with
the concentric white and red stripes.  I just cut them up and mixed them all together.
I like onions in my pickled beets.  I don't add any of the spices that you see in a lot 
of recipes; spice pickles aren't my thing.
 More of the Edmonton's.  I just slices instead of spears for burgers, etc.  
You can see the dried dill floating around.  
I used fresh dill in the spears, but ran out.  Dry is fine.
 Here is the hedge with the new bracing.  The 8+ foot thing was about to be a two foot thing
after it fell down.  I have braced it several times and ways already.  I hope this one works.

This is the first large tomato out of the garden, picked this morning.  
It is an orange type and weighs about 1.5 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment