Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Jardiniere

It's the end of the garden season and I spent yesterday taking everything that was still growing out of the garden, but the potatoes-- they still have a few days before the first freeze.  I had beets, carrots, peppers (Bell and hot), and tomatoes (green and ripe).  I also had a few herbs left-- parsley, thyme, and basil.  I started looking at all of it and remembered, I've been wanting to make Jardiniere for a long time; even better that most of the ingredients came fresh from the garden.
 Lorin planted a bunch of different peppers in the spring and one of them did really well.  He didn't do a good job of keep tabs on them though, so I don't know what kind they are.  They are big and long like Big Jim and I assume they are some type of Poblano.  They also have a really nice spice level.  I used these as the base of the Jardiniere.  
 
Also included are celery, onion, green tomato, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, garlic, bell peppers, and sweet peppers.
 This is all the vegetables soaking in salt water (about 1/2 cup salt and water to cover) for eight hours.  After that rinse everything very well.
 Here it is rinsed and mixed.
 In each of the pint jars is fresh Thyme, oregano, a bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper corns.
 Assembly line works well for me.  The fresh Thyme from the garden is in the back ground.  It is actually Lemon Thyme.  I am amazed at how lemony it really is; brings a very fresh something to food.
 Spoon it all in up to the mark at 1/2 inch from the top for headspace. 
Traditionally, Jardiniere has green olives in it too.  Some people don't like it though so I did six without and four with.  I definitely like it.  You bite into one of those and it really makes the dish for me.
After all the veg is spooned into the jars, mix about half and half white wine vinegar and olive oil.  They they need processed in boiling water for ten minutes.  They should last forever after that.  When you're ready to use the Jardiniere, just shake the jar and the vinegar and olive oil in addition to the herbs that went into the bottom of the jar before the veg makes a really nice vinaigrette.  This stuff is great as a side dish to just about anything, if you like pickled things, but is especially good with meat-- like pot roast or in a roast beef sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment