Search This Blog

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pear Espalier

I've wanted fruit trees for a long time now, but didn't have the room in my backyard.  I have seen espaliered fruit trees for a long time, but it never occured to me to try it myself.  Here is the final product. I have the first level done.  Each year I will add a level.  There will be three levels in all.  I will prune it to the lenth of the wires and the height of the fence.  I will take up about a foot and half of depth.  The variety I planted is Flordahome semi-dwarf pear, mainly because that was what was available and had the right shape to prune.
This is how they looked to begin with.  I obviously pruned them a lot.
These are the anchors, with a tightening mechanism, to keep the wire tight.  The branches of the tree are trained along the wire.
As you can see, it takes up very little space.  Now I just have to weight for it to get big enough to fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment