Search This Blog

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Draggon Tongue Beans

 Here are the beans.  They have a very distinctive look.  You can eat them as green beans when they are immature or fresh at this stage or dried.  The beans to the left are the true to form beans.  I will save the best of these for planting next year.  The ones to the right are almost completely purple.  I suppose if I wanted, I could save and plant this type until they stabilized and produce a pure purple variety.
 I only had one little strip in the garden, but I still managed to get about six cups of shelled beans.
This bowl was heaping full before I started shelling.
 The propagated tomatoes are still doing well.  They are growing fast and flowering.
 We'll see how fast they set fruit.
The pickling cucumbers have started producing now.  I've been able to pick a few and in the next few weeks it looks like there will be several a day.  I'm glad I trained them up the twine.
 It has worked really well so far.

The first planted tomatoes are doing as well as ever.  They are getting real big and I've been eating the Porters since June 1.
These are the Porters.  They were developed in the 30' and 40's in Stephenville, TX just a few miles away.  So, they are well suited to this area.

The yellow squash have set several fruit, but have cast off all of them until now.  I don't know what the problem was, but it looks like it's over.  Squash are good as self-selecting production to what they can accommodate well, so I wasn't real worried about it.
The zucchini are producing now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment