Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Garden Update: Tomatoes

I always start with this view of the garden because it is easy to see how much things have grown.  You can go back to previous posts and compare.  Short story, the tomatoes are going crazy.

The plants are masive now and producing dozens of tomatoes.  You can also see the frame for shade screen I put up.  We are getting temperatures in the mid to high 90's already.  Tomatoes don't set fruit very well at those temps, so I'm hoping the screen will help.



Just a few shots at all the tomatoes.  I can't wait.  I've already been eating a few of the Sweet 100's and here's a shot of the German Green Zebra getting ripe.

I will actually let this one rippen completely on the vine so the seeds will mature.  I'll keep the seeds from it for next year's garden.



The squash are setting fruit now too.  I planted them quite a bit later in the year to make room for the potatoes, but it looks like even with the late start I'll be eating them in a couple of weeks.



Here are some small Purple Pod Green Beans.  I've been eating them off the vine for about two weeks now.  None have made it into the house yet.



This is a pretty poor picture of one of the onion heads in bloom.



Here you can see the spinach making it's seed heads too.  The spinach did very well this year.  I used last year's seed and was very pleased at how well it did.  I will let a few of these go to seed and continue eating the rest.



These are the Black Spanish Radishes.  I planted them just for the seed pods this year.  I had never eaten them until last year, but they were so good I decided to plant them just for the immature seed pods.  You eat them like snow peas or something and they have a very mild radish flavor that is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment